May 5, 2009

Black Bean Millet Pullman Loaf with Caraway Seeds (B&P-9)



Baking & Pastry Project #9 - Black Bean Millet Pullman Loaf with Caraway Seeds


Each loaf I've made while working on the Baking & Pastry Project has been a learning experience. The Rye Dough with Caraway Seeds for a Pullman Loaf (pg. 135) turned out to be a bit of a journey and ended up taking me a few trys to get right.

This loaf was originally made of bread flour (14.58 g protein per 100 g flour) and a medium rye flour (5 g of protein per 100 g flour). My millet flour blend replaced the bread flour and had 13.98 g of protein per 100 g of flour. While the sorghum, black bean and cocoa blend with 5.8 g protein per 100 g of flour replaced the rye flour.

My original plan was based around using a gluten free rye seasoning that I located. I selected milder flours with the thought that the rye seasoning would carry the flavor load. This was all fine and good except for the fatal flaw in my plan...I hadn't yet checked out the rye seasoning. When I did, I was blasted with an acidic aroma more suited to drain cleaner than a food seasoning. Thinking it was because the bottle had been sealed for a while, I let the bottle air before checking it out again. It wasn't expired and it had been sealed, so I was left with thoughts about better uses for this powder rather than seasoning. Hmmm...replacement for smelling salts...

This led to me a great and merry chase through my pantry experimenting with flour flavor combinations. Some combinations were good up until you added the caraway seeds, others went straight into the trash can (i.e. don't use carob), while a couple made it to the test loaf stage. The winner ended up have a larger variety of flours than I thought it would. Plus, the dough did taste a little more of beans, stronger than I thought it would have since I only used 10 grams of black bean flour. I wanted the dough to have a stronger taste, so I didn't add any extra sweetener to remove the slightly bitter edge it had.

The loaf turned out with a dense crumb typical of a pullman loaf and a fabulous rye-like taste. After tasting the sample that I gave him, my husband grabbed one of the mini loaves and glass of La Vendimia (a Spanish red wine). Then he settled in on a bar stool at the kitchen counter for an after work snack. I joined him after cutting some Cotswold cheese with chives and setting out the jar of dark mustard.

At the end of this journey, I was delighted to discover that I didn't have to rely on a jar of seasoning to create a loaf of bread with a rye-like taste. It was possible to do with the right combination of flours, molasses and some caraway seeds.

Recipe
Yield: 5 mini pullman loaves
Protein content per flour follows in parenthesis

2.1 Tb/30 g brown rice flour (2.7 g)
2.1 Tb/30 g sweet rice flour (1.8 g)
2.1 Tb/30 g sweet potato flour (0.63 g)
4.6 Tb/66 g millet (7.59 g)
1.2 tsp/6 g chia seed meal (1.26 g)
_____
2.1 tsp/10 g black bean flour (2.4 g)
2.4 Tb/35 g sorghum flour (2.45 g)
1 tsp/5 g cocoa powder (0.95 g)
.4 tsp/2 g agar agar powder
2.1 tsp/10 g instant dry yeast
.8 tsp/4 g cane sugar
1 tsp/5 g sea salt
.4 tsp/2 g caraway seeds
.58 cup/138 ml water
.8 tsp/4 g vegetable shortening, softened
.8 tsp/4 g molasses

1. In a large bowl combine all the dry ingredients and blend. Add the wet ingredients and stir into a cohesive dough.

2. On a sheet of parchment paper sprinkle some sweet rice flour and then set the ball of dough on it. Shape into an oblong loaf and then set into a parchment paper lined mini loaf pan. Set aside and allow to rise for 1 hour and then cover with a sheet of parchment paper and a baking sheet. Weigh down the top baking sheet with either foil covered bricks or rocks, a cast iron pan or a ceramic pie plate.

3. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F/204 degrees C. Place the loaf pan with the top sheet onto a baking sheet and then set it in the oven. Set the weight on top of the baking sheet. Then bake for 40 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to completely cool before serving.


Notes:

Flours & Binding Agents: Authentic Foods, Barry Farm, Bob's Red Mill


Instant Dry Yeast: Barry Farm


Other Baking & Pastry Project Posts

Baking & Pastry Project #8 - Whole Grain Pullman Loaf
Baking & Pastry Project #7 - Pain de Mie
Baking & Pastry Project Week 4
Baking & Pastry Project #6 - Grissini
Baking & Pastry Project #5 - Soft Rolls
Baking & Pastry Project Week 3
Baking & Pastry Project #4 - Rosemary Bread
Baking & Pastry Project #3 - Whole Grain Bread
Baking & Pastry Project Week 2

No comments: