May 18, 2009

Baking & Pastry Project Week 7 - Ham & Cheese



It's going to be another great week of bread baking at my house. As always, my furry buddy will be warming the tops of my feet while I measure flour, grind beans and accidently knock chunks of cheese on the floor.

I've discovered there are quite a few ways I can make our Sheltie's day while I work my way through the bread section of the Baking & Pastry Project:

1. Me: Start up the coffee grinder.

The Sheltie: A prime whining and whizzing noise that means great barking fun will be had...REAL soon.

2. Me: Grind beans rather than coffee beans.

The Sheltie: A possible sign that aliens are attempting to break in and abduct Timmy, yet again...well, you never know...it pays to be on guard.

3. Me: Keep up good posture while I chop cheese, prosciutto and onion.

The Sheltie: If I squeeze in between the cabinet and my human's body, I can lay on top of their feet. It's an awesome trick to play, as it makes my human drop amazing quantities of food on the floor...chunks of cheese, meat and the incredible combo...pizza.

4. Me: I always need to bake or cook something for the bottomless preteen stomachs residing in our house.

The Sheltie: If the oven is running, something good will soon be had to eat. I am a begging master. I could go pro. With my masterful touch I can get cheese, ham, waffles, chicken, and BACON, BACON, BACON & MORE BACON.

5. Me: Run the Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer.

The Sheltie: The absolutely best tasting food comes from that whirring thing on the counter. If I bump my human's leg with my shoulder, I have a better chance of her dropping the spoon or the spatula. It's all good to me.

6. Me: I need to do some chores in the kitchen.

The Sheltie: Ah...the kitchen, excitement at every turn...


Schedule

Wednesday - Prosciutto & Provolone Bread

Saturday - Cheddar & Onion Mock Rye Bread


Shopping List

Brown Rice Flour (Fine or Superfine Grind)
Sweet Rice Flour (also called glutinous rice flour)
Arrowroot Starch
Almond Meal
High Protein Flours, such as: Soybean, White Bean, Black Bean
Whole Grain Flour, such as: Buckwheat, Millet, Sorghum, Quinoa, Teff
Instant Dry Yeast
Sea Salt
Binding Agents, such as: Xanthan or Guar Gum, Chia Seed Meal, Agar Agar Powder
Prosciutto - diced
Provolone - diced
Cheddar Cheese - grated
Yellow Onion - diced
Molasses


Resources

Flours, Almond Meal & Binding Agents: Authentic Foods, Barry Farm, Bob's Red Mill
Instant Dry Yeast: Barry Farm
Molasses: Barry Farm
Prosciutto, Provolone, Cheddar & Onion: Local grocery store or natural foods market
Note: If you can't prosciutto in your area, look for a Smithfield ham, Black Forest ham, dried cured ham or lean bacon (blanched in boiling water, rinsed and drained). This information is from The Cook's Thesaurus, click on the link for even more options.


Equipment

No specific or unusual equipment is needed this week.


What's Going On?

I was a very lucky woman and received a copy of the Culinary Institute of America's Baking & Pastry book along with their culinary dvd's from my family for my birthday and our anniversary. After watching all the DVDs, I decided to work my way through the CIA's Baking and Pastry book - of course making it gluten free. There were so many skills that I wanted to develop and work on. I hope you will be interested in sharing my journey with me.


Want More?

You can also follow me on Twitter, where I'm glutenagogo.
Other Baking & Pastry Project Posts
Baking & Pastry Project #11 - Beer & Cheese Bread
Baking & Pastry Project Week 6 - Beer, Cheese & Cider
Baking & Pastry Project #10 - Sunflower Honey Bran Bread
Baking & Pastry Project #9 - Black Bean Millet Pullman Loaf (mock rye)
Baking & Pastry Project Week 5 - Mock Rye & Sunflower Seeds

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This post made me chuckle - our childhood dog, Maggie, was just thrilled to be in a home with 6 children - the toddlers were her favourite because they were so good at sharing their food!

breadchick said...

Yea, our shelties were always great "testers" of counter droppings.