May 27, 2009

Cheddar & Onion Mock Rye Batard (B&P14)



Baking & Pastry Project #14 - Cheddar & Onion Mock Rye Batard



This bread turned out to be the sleeper of the project so far. It had a fabulous flavor that was bursting with the creaminess from the cheese and the earthy hint of onion as the bread glided over my tongue.

I was surpised as I was pretty skeptical about a bread recipe that had raw onion in it. Was the onion going to cook all the way through or was it going to end up as power house chunks of raw onion surrounded by bread. I have to admit to pondering the recipe for a while and contemplated carmelizing the onions first. In the end, although I had my doubts, I finally went with the book and added those raw onion squares to the dough.

I got everything ready, so I could bake bread in the morning and realized my tea had gone cold. I placed the cup in the microwave, made my selection, pressed start and enjoyed a nice flame show. Two small flames popped up on one side of the interior. I rapidly hit "End" and watched my impromptu fire fizzle out.

What is it about microwaves? I don't use our microwave for very much, mostly for reheating beverages. However, the last 3 microwaves we've owed have lasted for 2 years and all go up in flames. Is there something about me that kills microwaves or is it a sign of the times with planned appliance obsolesence? Maybe it's a sign that I could start a new career as a fire-starter in an alternative universe, armed with my handy microwave? Oh, wait...they might not have electricity...okay scrap that plan.

By the way, do any of you use your microwave for a lot of cooking or do you use it mostly for reheating things? Most of the time, when I reheat foods, I use our toaster oven. Which is what I did with this bread, when my husband and I had a simple dinner of bread, salad and a nice cold gluten free beer. Delicious!



Recipe
Yield: 1 batard

Protein Content follows the flour in parenthesis
Original Protein Content: 13.21 g
GF Protein Content: 12.89 g


1 tsp/5 g brown rice flour (.45 g)
4 1/4 tsp/20 g sweet rice flour (1.2 g)
4 1/4 tsp/20 g arrowroot starch (.06 g)
4 Tb/58 g sorghum flour (6.67 g)
1 1/4 tsp/ 6 g chia seed meal (1.26 g)
____
1 tsp/5 g black bean flour (1.2 g)
4 3/8 tsp/21 g sorghum flour (1.47 g)
5/8 tsp/ 3 g cocoa powder (.57 g)
1 tsp/5 g arrowroot starch (.01 g)
3/8 tsp/2 g agar agar powder
2 3/8 tsp/11 g instant dry yeast
7/8 tsp/4 g sea salt
5/8 tsp/3 g cane sugar
1/2 cup/137 ml water
5/8 tsp/3 g molasses
5/8 tsp/3 g vegetable oil
2 Tb/28 g cheddar cheese, diced
2 Tb/28 g yellow onion, diced

1. Combine the dry ingredients into a large bowl and blend well. Add the water, molasses and oil and mix. Then add the cheese and onion and blend.

2. On a sheet of parchment paper sprinkled with sweet rice flour, place the dough into the center and shape into a batard. Slice the batard across the width of the middle and then on either side. Set in a draft free location and allow to rise for 2 hours.

3. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F/218 degrees C. If you have a baking stone, place it in the oven at the same time on a shelf in the top third of the oven. Gather an oven proof bowl that can hold water and a squirt bottle filled with water for steaming your bread. Place the water bowl on a shelf in the bottom third of the oven.

4. Slide the parchment paper with the loaf onto the baking stone. Squirt the sides of the oven with water and the top of the bread. Then bake for 25 minutes. Prop open the door of the oven and allow the bread to cook for 5 minutes. Remove the bread from the oven, then let the bread cool about 1 ½ hours before cutting.




Notes:

1. Bean Flour – You can purchase Black bean flour from Barry Farm or you can grind your own using a coffee grinder.

2. Chia Seed Meal/Salba Meal – You can purchase dark chia seeds from Barry Farm and light chia seeds (Salba) from Amazon. Then you can use a coffee grinder to turn them into meal.

3. Agar Agar Powder - Is available from Barry Farm as well.


Other Baking & Pastry Project Posts

Baking & Pastry Project #13 - Prosciutto & Provolone Bread
Baking & Pastry Project Week 7 - Ham & Cheese
Baking & Pastry Project #12 - Belgian Apple Cider Bread
Baking & Pastry Project #11 - Beer & Cheese Bread
Baking & Pastry Project Week 6 - Beer, Cheese & Cider
Baking & Pastry Project #10 - Sunflower Honey Bran Bread
Baking & Pastry Project #9 - Black Bean Millet Pullman Loaf (mock rye)
Baking & Pastry Project Week 5 - Mock Rye & Sunflower Seeds


Want More?

You can follow me on Twitter, where I'm glutenagogo.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

My husband is sitting next to me and saw the title and is drooling - he is only vegan by default says your bread sounds amazing!

Microwaves...pretty much only for defrosting and water for my tea, but I do remember when I was a kid it seemed that appliances lasted longer. Be careful ! And thanks again.

Gluten Free In the Greens said...

I've been following your project with great interest! Do you think that the breads really need the 2+ hrs rise time? Do they actually raise? Recently I've been making a few of Karina's recipes that only call for a 20 minute rise, during which there is a substantial rise. Of course, my challah needs to rise for about 50 min in a 100-200 degree oven. What do you think in general about gf breads and rise times?

Thanks! I might try this one for dinner tomorrow night.

Gluten Free In the Greens said...

Also, do you proof the yeast? How does it work, if not?

Thanks!

Natalie, aka "Sheltie Girl" said...

Hi GF in the Greens - Well, I'm trying to stay as close as I can to the recipe as it is written, which is why I allow some breads to rise for 2 hours.

No, I'm not proofing the yeast as it isn't needed for doughs with instant dry yeast. For added umph and to make sure that the yeast has the sugar it needs to feed on, I do add some sugar or agave syrup to the recipe. Note: I'm using SAF instant dry yeast.

Also, it does take longer for yeast to rise when you do a cool/room temperature draft free location. Yeast always rises faster in a warmer location.

Does this help?

Natalie

Natalie, aka "Sheltie Girl" said...

Hi Shell & GF in the Greens - Thank you very much for stopping by and following my progress.

My husband is GF by default like your husband is vegan by default. And the bread was delicious, especially when it was warm.

Thanks for visiting!

Natalie