Baking & Pastry Project #14 - Cheddar & Onion Mock Rye Batard
This bread turned out to be the sleeper of the project so far. It had a fabulous flavor that was bursting with the creaminess from the cheese and the earthy hint of onion as the bread glided over my tongue.
I was surpised as I was pretty skeptical about a bread recipe that had raw onion in it. Was the onion going to cook all the way through or was it going to end up as power house chunks of raw onion surrounded by bread. I have to admit to pondering the recipe for a while and contemplated carmelizing the onions first. In the end, although I had my doubts, I finally went with the book and added those raw onion squares to the dough.
I got everything ready, so I could bake bread in the morning and realized my tea had gone cold. I placed the cup in the microwave, made my selection, pressed start and enjoyed a nice flame show. Two small flames popped up on one side of the interior. I rapidly hit "End" and watched my impromptu fire fizzle out.
What is it about microwaves? I don't use our microwave for very much, mostly for reheating beverages. However, the last 3 microwaves we've owed have lasted for 2 years and all go up in flames. Is there something about me that kills microwaves or is it a sign of the times with planned appliance obsolesence? Maybe it's a sign that I could start a new career as a fire-starter in an alternative universe, armed with my handy microwave? Oh, wait...they might not have electricity...okay scrap that plan.
By the way, do any of you use your microwave for a lot of cooking or do you use it mostly for reheating things? Most of the time, when I reheat foods, I use our toaster oven. Which is what I did with this bread, when my husband and I had a simple dinner of bread, salad and a nice cold gluten free beer. Delicious!
Yield: 1 batard
Protein Content follows the flour in parenthesis
Original Protein Content: 13.21 g
GF Protein Content: 12.89 g
1 tsp/5 g brown rice flour (.45 g)
4 1/4 tsp/20 g sweet rice flour (1.2 g)
4 1/4 tsp/20 g arrowroot starch (.06 g)
4 Tb/58 g sorghum flour (6.67 g)
1 1/4 tsp/ 6 g chia seed meal (1.26 g)
1 tsp/5 g black bean flour (1.2 g)
4 3/8 tsp/21 g sorghum flour (1.47 g)
5/8 tsp/ 3 g cocoa powder (.57 g)
1 tsp/5 g arrowroot starch (.01 g)
3/8 tsp/2 g agar agar powder
2 3/8 tsp/11 g instant dry yeast
7/8 tsp/4 g sea salt
5/8 tsp/3 g cane sugar
1/2 cup/137 ml water
5/8 tsp/3 g molasses
5/8 tsp/3 g vegetable oil
2 Tb/28 g cheddar cheese, diced
2 Tb/28 g yellow onion, diced
1. Combine the dry ingredients into a large bowl and blend well. Add the water, molasses and oil and mix. Then add the cheese and onion and blend.
2. On a sheet of parchment paper sprinkled with sweet rice flour, place the dough into the center and shape into a batard. Slice the batard across the width of the middle and then on either side. Set in a draft free location and allow to rise for 2 hours.
3. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F/218 degrees C. If you have a baking stone, place it in the oven at the same time on a shelf in the top third of the oven. Gather an oven proof bowl that can hold water and a squirt bottle filled with water for steaming your bread. Place the water bowl on a shelf in the bottom third of the oven.
4. Slide the parchment paper with the loaf onto the baking stone. Squirt the sides of the oven with water and the top of the bread. Then bake for 25 minutes. Prop open the door of the oven and allow the bread to cook for 5 minutes. Remove the bread from the oven, then let the bread cool about 1 ½ hours before cutting.
1. Bean Flour – You can purchase Black bean flour from Barry Farm or you can grind your own using a coffee grinder.
3. Agar Agar Powder - Is available from Barry Farm as well.
Other Baking & Pastry Project Posts
Baking & Pastry Project #13 - Prosciutto & Provolone Bread
Baking & Pastry Project Week 7 - Ham & Cheese
Baking & Pastry Project #12 - Belgian Apple Cider Bread
Baking & Pastry Project #11 - Beer & Cheese Bread
Baking & Pastry Project Week 6 - Beer, Cheese & Cider
Baking & Pastry Project #10 - Sunflower Honey Bran Bread
Baking & Pastry Project #9 - Black Bean Millet Pullman Loaf (mock rye)
Baking & Pastry Project Week 5 - Mock Rye & Sunflower Seeds
You can follow me on Twitter, where I'm glutenagogo.