April 20, 2009

Baking & Pastry Project Week 3 - Sticks & Rolls



I was a very lucky woman and received a copy of the Culinary Institute of America's Baking & Pastry book along with their culinary dvd's from my family for my birthday and our anniversary. After watching all the DVDs, I decided to work my way through the CIA's Baking and Pastry book - of course making it gluten free. There were so many skills that I wanted to develop and work on. I hope you will be interested in sharing my journey with me.


This week I'm making Soft Rolls and Grissini. What are grissini you ask? They are thin breadsticks. You can roll them out with a pasta machine or you can fix them by hand. Over at Delicious Days, you can find some she made with squid ink making them a dense black color. Or over at the LA Times there are some made with whole wheat flour.


You can follow my adventure daily on Twitter, where I'm glutenagogo.



Schedule for the Week of April 19th:


Tuesday - Soft Roll Dough & Bread (page 132)


Thursday – Grissini Dough & Grissini (page 133)




Shopping List


Brown Rice Flour (Fine or Superfine grind)
Sweet Rice Flour (also called glutinous rice flour)
Arrowroot Starch
High Protein Flours such as: Soybean, White Bean, Quinoa, Millet, Sorghum
Whole Grain Flour such as: Buckwheat, Millet, Sorghum, Quinoa, Amaranth, Teff
Instant Dry Yeast
Sea Salt
Binding Agents such as: Xanthan gum, Guar Gum, Chia Seed Meal, Agar Agar Powder
Toppings: Sesame Seeds, Poppy Seeds, Coarse Salt



Resources


Flours & Binding Agents:Authentic Foods, Barry Farm, Bob's Red Mill


Instant Dry Yeast:Barry Farm



Equipment




Other Messages in the Baking & Pastry Project


Baking & Pastry Project #4 - Rosemary Bread

Baking & Pastry Project #3 - Whole Grain Bread
Baking & Pastry Project #2 - Bagels
Baking & Pastry Project #1 - Lean White Bread
Baking & Pastry Project - Week 1

4 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

Oooh, fabulous!! Can't wait to see the Grissini, especially!!

Natalie, aka "Sheltie Girl" said...

Thanks for visiting. I'm pretty excited about making the grissini too.

Natalie

Anonymous said...

Hello!

I am a gluten intolerant twenty one year old female college student living in Tucson, AZ. For my cultural anthropology class I have chosen to do my semester research project on those who are gluten intolerant and how they create identity for themselves. I would be so grateful if you (or anyone you know who is gluten intolerant that you could send it to) found the time to fill out this questionnaire and consent form for me. I would need it emailed back by May first to dally@chef.net. Thank you so much and I look forward to your reply!

Miss Dallas Scott

Gluten Intolerance and Identity Questionnaire:



Where do you live?



Where do you work and is where you work influenced by having this gluten sensitivity?



Where do you generally shop for food at?



Where do you go out to eat?



Do you generally go out to eat with the same people?



Does gluten have an effect on where you will and will not go?



Where do you spend a lot of your time? (home, outdoors, mall, downtown, or like me the kitchen! ect.)



What kinds of clothing do you wear? fabric types? Brands? What are the reasons you chose for example, cotton gap jeans instead of nike spandex shorts. Again does this relate to your gluten intolerance and issues associated with it (personally I don’t wear acrylic if I “got wheated” and am having a skin reaction because it makes the rash worse..)



What types of music do you listen to? You can list specific brands.



Are there any common slogans that you use on anything for example clothing or stickers. (ex: “Beat The Wheat!” Or “Bootin’ The Gluten!” or even "Gluten Free!" like the sticker I have on my car)



Do you use any slang term specifically related to gluten sensitivity? (like “got wheated”)



Do you have any other allergies and/or medical conditions?



What types of doctors do you choose to see and what kinds of treatment (acupuncture, chiropractic care, western allopathic, eastern Chinese, aryuvedic...)



What kinds and brands of supplements/ medicine do you take?



Do you seek out friends or wish to date those who are gluten sensitive as well, are you a part of any clubs related to being gluten free?



Do you want people to know you are gluten sensitive when you first meet or like me do you tell them after they've had your cooking ;)



Could you describe what your reaction and emotions were when you first found out you had a problem with wheat or gluten, and the changes in the following months up until now. Have you found that your thought process has changed in certain ways? How has this changed your life?


any additional comments?


Informed Consent Form for Interview for Anthropology Research Project





Dear Gluten a gog o

This interview is being conducted as an assignment for an Anthropology class at Pima College, Tucson, Arizona, under instructor Dianna Repp (Phone:520-206-6067).

The information gathered will be read by Repp, and returned to the student. No copies will be archived by Repp.



I, _______________________ (print name), give my permission for this interview to be used for this Anthropology class assignment.



_____________________________________________ ________________________

Signature Date

Anonymous said...

I just had to tell you that photo is beautiful, Natalie!