March 28, 2009

A New Baking Adventure Week 1 - Beans & Bagels


Baking & Pastry Project

I am a very lucky woman. My anniversary and birthday present this year from my family was a set of the Culinary Institute of America's (CIA) Culinary Arts and Baking DVDs. I was beyond speechless and praying that sounds reminiscent of a preteen girl at a Jonas Brothers concert wouldn't suddenly erupt from my mouth. Wow! My family knows me so well and couldn't have given me anything that would have pleased me more.

After watching all the DVDs, I decided that I wanted to work my way through the CIA's Baking and Pastry book. They are so many skills that I want to develop and work on. Plus, I thought some of you might be interested in sharing my journey with me.

Starting this week, I will begin baking my way through the book starting with breads. On Sundays, I will post the baking schedule for the week along with a shopping list with resources. The two recipes I tackle for the week will be posted on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Schedule for the Week of March 29th

Tuesday - Lean White Bread
Thursday – Bagels

Shopping List

Brown Rice Flour (Fine or Superfine grind)
Sweet Rice Flour (also called glutinous rice flour)
Arrowroot Starch
High Protein Flours such as: Soybean, White Bean, Quinoa, Millet, Sorghum
Instant Dry Yeast
Salt
Binding Agent such as: Xanthan gum, Guar Gum, Chia Seed Meal
White Sorghum Malt Extract (Gluten Free & High Maltose)

Resources

Flours & Binding Agents:

Authentic Foods
Barry Farm
Bob's Red Mill

Instant Dry Yeast:

Barry Farm

Briess White Sorghum Malt Extract:

Midwest Homebrewing and Winemaking Supplies

Equipment

Kitchen Scale
Measuring Cup (with fluid ounces or mL)
Large Pot (i.e. Stock Pot, Dutch Oven or Wok)
Baking Sheets
Digital Thermometer
Parchment Paper

4 comments:

LizNoVeggieGirl said...

INCREDIBLE gift!!!!!!! Happy belated anniversary and birthday, as well :-)

Anonymous said...

Ok, first : happy late anniversary & birthday Natalie!
Second: how wonderful are you to share this adventure with us! I am so excited to follow your progress through this amazing tomb!

zebe912 said...

Wow. Are you planning to convert to gluten free as you go? I assume the book is not written gluten free (although I couldn't tell for sure from the sample pages). I've always wondered about making bagels too. This would be a fun challenge, but I've banned myself from internet baking challenges, especially with leaving town in a week!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday/anniversary! I understand the excitement over the present. I recently got the CIA Gluten Free Baking cookbook (didn't even know they had one), and it's great!
I'll look forward to your posts.
Karen