Baking & Pastry Project #13 - Prosciutto & Provolone Bread
Happy Memorial Day! This is a four day weekend of us and we're planning loads of home and yard improvement.
We're working on finishing off the carpentry work on our kitchen remodel. Yesterday, my husband and daughter finished off the countertop trim. He was teaching her how to measure and set up the angles for cutting the wood. She got to counter sink the nails and schmear wood putty into the holes.
I was painting the strips for the batten of our board and batten paneling for the walls of the kitchen. There are so many strips that have to be primed and painted before they can be hung on the ceiling and walls. By the end of yesterday, I was covered in little droplets of paint. Our Sheltie had her own streaks of paint since she needed to share some love while I was trying to swing a paint brush.
Our son had his own project, to clean out his small bookcase so we can put a new one in his room. It's time to part with his young reader books to make room for the Redwall and Hardy Boys series he's collecting.
To round out the day, we started tackling our yard. We did a lot of trimming and shifted a few plants around. Due to the long cold winter, we had quite a few things die and others that suffered quite a bit of ice damage. I'm really sad about the loss of our Henry Lauder Walking Stick tree (also called a Corkscrew Hazel). It was a beautiful and unique tree that was remarkably lovely in the fall.
We took a break for lunch, crashing tiredly in the rocking chairs around the patio table. While our Sheltie aimed for the deepest part of the shade cast by the umbrella over the patio. We dined on prosciutto and provolone bread served with rainbow chard salad and a mixed fruit salad. Then we sat and indulged in multiple glasses of iced tea and frosty fruit jucies.
Yield: 1 small loaf
Protein content: 23.57 g
1 Tb + 2 1/4 tsp/25 g brown rice flour (2.25 g)
1 Tb + 2 1/4 tsp/25 g sweet rice flour (1.5 g)
4 1/4 tsp/20 g arrowroot starch (.06 g)
2 Tb + 2 1/2 tsp/40 g almond meal (8 g)
1 Tb + 2 1/2 tsp/26 g millet flour (2.99 g)
1 1/4 tsp/6 g chia seed meal (1.26 g)
2 1/2 Tb/35 g white bean flour (7.5 g)
2 1/4 tsp + pinch/11 g instant dry yeast
1/2 tsp/2 g agar agar powder
3/4 tsp + dash/4 g sea salt
7 Tb + 1 tsp/109 ml water
1 Tb + 3/4 tsp/18 g olive oil
1 Tb + dash/15 g butter, soft
4 Tb/56 g prosciutto, diced
4 Tb/56 g provolone, diced
1. Lay out a sheet of parchment paper. In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients and blend well. Pour in the olive oil, butter and water, then stir together. Sprinkle the parchment paper with sweet rice flour and place the bread dough in the center of the paper. Shape into a round ball and score an "X" in the center of the top of the dough. Cover and allow to rise for 2 hours.
2. Preheat the oven to 435 degrees F/225 degrees C. If you have a baking stone, place it in the oven at the same time on a shelf in the top third of the oven. Gather an oven proof bowl that can hold water and a squirt bottle filled with water for steaming your bread. Place the water bowl on a shelf in the bottom third of the oven.
3. Slide the parchment paper with the loaf onto the baking stone. Squirt the sides of the oven with water and the top of the bread. Then bake for 25 minutes. Prop open the door of the oven and allow the bread to cook for 5 minutes. Remove the bread from the oven, then let the bread cool about 1 ½ hours before cutting.
1. Bean Flour – You can purchase Black bean flour from Barry Farm or you can grind your own using a coffee grinder.
2. Chia Seed Meal – You can purchase chia seeds from Barry Farm and use a coffee grinder to turn them into meal.
3. Agar Agar Powder - Is available from Barry Farm as well.
Other Baking & Pastry Project Posts
Baking & Pastry Project Week 7 - Ham & Cheese
Baking & Pastry Project #12 - Belgian Apple Cider Bread
Baking & Pastry Project #11 - Beer & Cheese Bread
Baking & Pastry Project Week 6 - Beer, Cheese & Cider
Baking & Pastry Project #10 - Sunflower Honey Bran Bread
Baking & Pastry Project #9 - Black Bean Millet Pullman Loaf (mock rye)
Baking & Pastry Project Week 5 - Mock Rye & Sunflower Seeds
You can follow me on Twitter, where I'm glutenagogo.