September 3, 2009

Baking & Pastry Project Week 11 - Parmesan & Pretzels


Baking & Pastry Project Week 11 - Parmesan & Pretzels

Are you a chef or a cook?

Do you prefer gourmand or foodie?

How about...are you an amateur cook or a home cook?

Do you think that a home cook should also be called a chef?

There's an interesting discussion about how should we with language differentiate between the professional cook and the home cook at Ruhlman.com. Chef delGrosso suggested that there are four types of cooks: professional, amateur, default and slave. The professional is employed to cook, the amateur cooks because they want to, the default cooks because there isn't anyone else to do it and they don't mind cooking, and the slave hates to cook and have no other choice.

Personally, I prefer kitchen chemist or better yet, kitchen kibitzer. 'Cause I never grew out of playing with my food.


Schedule

Friday - Crescia al Formaggio

Saturday - Soft Pretzels

Shopping List

Brown Rice Flour (Fine or Superfine Grind)
Sweet Rice Flour (also called glutinous rice flour)
Arrowroot Starch
Almond Meal
High Protein Flours, such as: Soybean, White Bean, Black Bean
Whole Grain Flour, such as: Buckwheat, Millet, Sorghum, Quinoa, Teff
Instant Dry Yeast
Binding Agents, such as: Xanthan or Guar Gum, Chia Seed Meal, Agar Agar Powder
Parmesan Cheese
Coarse Salt
Sorghum Malt Syrup
Sodium Hydroxide Pellets


Resources

Flours & Binding Agents: Authentic Foods, Barry Farm, Bob's Red Mill
Instant Dry Yeast: Barry Farm
Agave Syrup: Wild Organics, Native Seeds
Sorghum Malt Syrup
Sodium Hydroxide Pellets
Rubber Gloves
Goggles or Safety Glasses


Equipment


Clean Unglazed Clay Flower Pot
Cookie Sheets
Slotted Spatula


What's Going On?

I was a very lucky woman and received a copy of the Culinary Institute of America's Baking & Pastry book along with their culinary dvd's from my family for my birthday and our anniversary. After watching all the DVDs, I decided to work my way through the CIA's Baking and Pastry book - of course making it gluten free. There were so many skills that I wanted to develop and work on. I hope you will be interested in sharing my journey with me.


Want More?

You can also follow me on Twitter, where I'm glutenagogo.


Other Baking & Pastry Project Posts

Baking & Pastry Project #20 - Craquelin
Baking & Pastry Project #19 - Brioche
Baking & Pastry Project Week 10 - Brioches
Baking & Pastry Project #18 - Mixed Berry & Cream Cheese Coffee Cake
Baking & Pastry Project #17 - Braided Challah
Baking & Pastry Project Week 9 - Twisted & Braided
Baking & Pastry Project #16 - Raisin Cinnamon Swirl Bread
Baking & Pastry Project #15 - Rustic Raisin Bread
Baking & Pastry Project Week 8 - Raisins & More Raisins

No comments: