October 13, 2007

Yeasted Banana Nut Waffles & Agave Coconut Cream - Gluten Free

Since the times of the ancient Greeks, people have been eating cakes flattened between two cooking plates. By the thirteenth century we began eating waffles after a craftsman had the idea to create honeycombed plate.

The Belgian waffle is thicker than the traditional American waffle, because it uses yeast rather than baking powder and soda. Brussels waffles became popular at the 1960 World's Fair in Brussels, when they were served by restauranteur Maurice Vermersch. His Brussels waffles were made from one of his wife's recipes. Maurice was so successful at the fair that he decided to go to the 1964 World's Fair in New York. Once in Queen's he renamed his pastry the Belgian waffle.

I was inspired by an article in The Daily Gullet, by Matthew Amster-Burton, titled "Desperate Measures: Waffles, Breakfast With the King." Like Matthew, I always forget that I would like to have waffles in the morning, actually make that my entire family. Light, crisp and filled with syrup, they are a soul satisfying way to start the say. So I took Matthew's advice and started up a batch of gluten free banana nut yeast waffles.

I couldn't wait to start cooking when I woke up. Armed with a hot cup of tea, I warmed up the waffle iron and gathered my kitchen tools. The aroma was so enticing, I quickly had company in the kitchen. Our Shetland sheepdog, came in and laid on my feet while I was cooking. This batch of waffles turned out beautifully. I served them with either warm maple syrup or Agave Coconut Cream. Either way, the waffles were delicious.
Recipes

Banana Nut Waffles

1 cup brown rice flour
1/2 cup chestnut flour
1/2 cup arrowroot starch
1/2 cup sweet rice flour
1 tsp Plantago seeds (psyllium seeds)*
1/4 tsp salt
1 package dry active yeast
1 cup water (110 to 115 deg Fahrenheit)
1 cup lite coconut milk
4 Tb butter, melted
4 Tb coconut oil, melted
2 eggs, lightly beaten
3 Tb agave syrup
2 mashed bananas
1/2 cup chopped pecans

Agave Coconut Cream

1/4 cup coconut milk
1 Tb agave syrup

Waffle Instructions

1. Pour the yeast into the warm water and set aside to proof for ten minutes.

2. In a large bowl, dump in the flours, plantago seeds and salt then stir. Then pour in the coconut milk, yeast and water, butter, coconut oil, eggs and agave syrup. Stir the mixture together.

3. Cover the batter and set aside in a warm location for about one hour, if you want to use the batter right away. If you want to use the batter the next day, cover the batter and place in the refrigerator. The next morning allow the batter to come to room temperature before using.

4. Preheat your waffle maker and cook according to the manufacturer's instructions. Makes 6 waffles.

Agave Coconut Cream Instructions

1. Pour the coconut cream into a small bowl. Whisk until the cream is slightly fluffy.

2. Dump in the agave syrup and whisk. Serve with Banana Nut Waffles.


What did my family think of the waffles? They were a hit. Everyone of us thought they were great. My children didn't care for the agave coconut cream on their waffle, they preferred the maple syrup. My husband and I enjoyed the coconut cream on the waffles. This recipe is a keeper.

* Note: I purchased my Plantago Seeds (Psyllium seeds) from Native Seeds/SEARCH.

4 comments:

Jess said...

Yum! Sounds like I will have to make a trip to the health food store for ingredients!

Dylan said...

I think my family would love to wake up to a batch of warm belgian waffles!! sounds like something i should make this weekend.

I have been all wrapped up in school work and have not been blogging very often (which i hope to change) and did not realize that i have been added to your "zoom around" list. My mom was checking out your blog and was looking at the links when "pop" there was my link. It made my day. Thank you soooooo much, I am honored to be listed on your blog.
Thanks again,
your fellow blogger, Dylan

Natalie, aka "Sheltie Girl" said...

Jess - Thanks for stopping by and have fun shopping at the health food store.

Sheltie Girl

Natalie, aka "Sheltie Girl" said...

Dylan - Thanks for stopping by. I'm delighted that you are so thrilled to be added to my "Zoom Around" list. I hope to see/read more of your cooking adventures.

Sheltie Girl