October 18, 2007

Agave Pumpkin Muffins

Since my family has type II diabetes I have been following a diet lower on the Glycemic index for several years. However, over the last six months I have begun to have episodes of reactive hypoglycemia due to my hypothyroid condition. This has meant I have needed to work on lowering the Glycemic index of the foods I eat, once again.

I have been altering my family's favorite recipes, replacing the sugar with agave syrup, because it is lower on the Glycemic index. One of the first recipes I chose to work on was pumpkin muffins, because my children adore them. I topped some of them with pine nuts and pumpkin seeds that my husband and I thoroughly and enjoyed.

Recipe

1/3 cup vegetable shortening
3/4 cup agave syrup
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 cup pumpkin (fresh or canned)
2/3 cup brown rice flour
1/3 cup chestnut flour
1/3 cup arrowroot starch
1/3 cup sweet rice flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp ground cloves or nutmeg
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 cup water
1 1/2 tsp kudzu/kuzu powder (dissolved in water)
Optional: 1/2 cup chopped pecans, pine nuts or pumpkin seeds

Servings: 14 muffins

1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit and place 12 silicone muffin cups on a cookie sheet.

2. In a mixing bowl, dump in the vegetable shortening and cream it on medium speed. Pour in the agave syrup and mix.

4. Dump in the pumpkin and eggs, then beat on medium speed.

5. Slowly add the flours, baking powder, soda, spices, salt and water with kudzu dissolved in it. Mix on low speed just until blended. Pour batter into silicone cups.

6. Bake for 30 minutes. Allow to cool before serving.

What did my family think about pumpkin muffins made with agave syrup? My family thought they were delicious and ate them up in a few days. I thought they were fabulous and they didn't bother my reactive hypoglycemia at all.

4 comments:

Sally JPA said...

Those sound delicious. I love me some fall foods!

Cindy said...

These look great! LOL, I'm telling Melissa at GF for Good that you beat her and I both to pumpkin baked goods/dessert :) Thanks for sharing!
I don't have chestnut flour (it sounds interesting though) or shortening... or sweet rice flour or... sigh. Hey, I'll just appreciate that you made great looking muffins, right?

Natalie, aka "Sheltie Girl" said...

Hi Veggie Paparazzo - Thanks for stopping by.

Sheltie Girl

Natalie, aka "Sheltie Girl" said...

Cindy - You are too funny! I can't wait to read what foods you make with your pumpkins.

I buy my chestnut flour at either Whole Foods or Glutenfree.com. Sweet rice flour you can find at either Bob's Red Mill or your local Asian market. As for the shortening you can subsitute butter or coconut oil or Earth Balance spread if you have them or prefer to use them.

Sheltie Girl