October 2, 2007

The Bread Baking Bonanza Roundup

World Day of Bread & National Celiac Awareness Month

During the month of September, I hosted a Bread Baking Bonanza for World Day of Bread & National Celiac Awareness Month. By finishing the Bonanza at the beginning of October it would give an array of beautiful bread recipes to anyone inspired to bake for the World Day of Bread or even to do charitable bread giving for National Celiac Awareness Month.

By the Bay @ Gluten Free By The Bay created a fabulous loaf of challah. She dipped her challah in honey for Rosh Hashanah and then made it in to french toast. Her challah recipe is not only gluten free, but dairy-free, soy-free, vegetarian and pareve. Thanks By the Bay!

Challah

Carrie @ Ginger Lemon Girl baked up a tantalizing loaf of Five Flour Yeast Bread. She's new to the world of gluten free eating and baking with only five weeks behind her. Carrie borrowed her mother-in-law's bread machine to make her loaf of bread that was inspired by a recipe in The Gluten Free Gourmet. Welcome to the gluten free community Carrie. Thanks for baking!

Five Flour Yeast Bread


Ginger @ Gluten Free in Georgia (& Florida) made a lovely loaf of Gluten Free Whole Grain Bread in her new bread maker. She used a mix from Bob’s Red Mill to create a scrumptious loaf of bread. Ginger was also named as Larabar’s fan of the day. Check it out on her blog. Thanks Ginger!

Gluten Free Whole Grain Bread


Karen @ Gluten Free Food Reviews is working her way through the commercially available gluten free foods and letting you know how she feels about them. Karen tested the Kinnikinnick Pizza Crust for us, which is all the more special because she was under the weather at the time. Thanks Karen!

Gluten Free Pizza Crust from Kinnikinnick


Kate @ Gluten Free Gobsmacked baked Sweet Potato Ginger Muffins and Oat & Honey Bread. Swing by Kate’s blog to check out another one of her wonderful bread recipes…Molasses Bread. A dark and decadent loaf of bread that would be perfect served with ham, Swiss cheese and dark mustard. Thanks Kate!

Sweet Potato Ginger Muffins

Oat & Honey Bread


Mary Francis @ Gluten Free Cooking School made a delightfully lofty batch of Spiced Apple Pancakes and challenged herself by refining her Drop Biscuit recipe. Mary Francis’ pancakes are so mouthwatering I need to go get my skillet out and start to work. Thanks Mary Francis!

Spiced ApplePancakes

Drop Biscuits No. 2


Natalie @ Gluten Free Mommy baked a divine loaf of Buckwheat Sweet Potato Bread. Her loaf is a beautiful and aromatic quick bread that can served for breakfast or for an after school snack. Swing by Natalie’s blog and check out her picture of her new little one, “Big Dan.” He’s a handsome guy. Thanks Natalie!

Buckwheat Sweet Potato Bread


Sheltie Girl @ Gluten A Go Go was thoroughly inspired by bread this month. My husband and I enjoy having warm quick breads for breakfast and my children like having them around for snacks. My sourdough starter was providing a load of inspiration to bake wonderfully fragrant breads.

Cinnamon Carrot Muffins

Sourdough Oat Waffles

Strawberry Cornbread

Sourdough Pizza

Cinnamon Rolls



If you would like to do more for National Celiac Awareness Month, don’t forget that the National Foundation for Celiac Awareness is sponsoring a Cupcake Fundraiser with Pamela's Products.

Or you can bake with the Spread the Bread group and spread charitable gluten free loaves of bread throughout your community. For the month of October, Spread the Bread is sponsoring the Sand-Witch-A-Thon by helping groups bake bread and make sandwiches for their local shelter or food bank.

Thanks again to everyone who participated in the Bread Baking Bonanza.

Note: The World Day of Bread image is from the World Day of Bread Group and the Celiac image is courtesy of the National Institutes of Health (NIH) Celiac Disease Awareness Campaign. The Sandwitch-A-Thon image is courtesy of the Spread the Bread organization.

7 comments:

Carrie said...

Hi Sheltie Girl!
Thank you so much for including my entry! I was afraid that I was too late in getting it to you! Thank you also for your warm welcome! This large community of gluten-free bloggers has been a welcoming bunch indeed! I really enjoyed participating in your blogging event! It was the first event I have participated in! Thanks so much!!

ByTheBay said...

Ack! I meant to submit my challah post. Oh well. Great round-up!

Ginger Carter Miller said...

Thanks for including me -- I'm going to do more this weekend, too. I am trying to learn to bake. It's my cooking weak area,

Can't wait to try those cinnamon rolls -- right now, I'm only getting them via my Larabar stash!

If you ever feel like adding more gluten free blogs to your list, I'd love for you to add me. I'm not on that many, only the ones I really like :-)

Natalie, aka "Sheltie Girl" said...

By the Bay, Carrie & Ginger - Thank you very much for baking for the Bread Baking Bonanza. You guys are the greatest.

Sheltie Girl @ Gluten A Go Go

W said...

I wanted to participate but my breads didn't turn out :(
All of yours sound so good!
There are so many creative and different breads.
jill

Victoria said...

I'm in awe of all the people who can bake bread, even more of people who can bake gluten free bread! I can't even bake normal wheat bread. I'm taking my G.F food seriously now, but bread is something I'm so daunted by. COOL WORK GUYS! =)

Kate said...

Thanks for doing this, Sheltie-Girl!

This was fun! And I know it takes a lot of work to put together the "round up".

=)
Happy GF Eating to you!
-Kate