January 1, 2007

Sweet Potato Hash - Gluten Free

I love sweet potatoes! There are so many beautiful varieties of sweet potatoes at the grocery store right now, I couldn't resist. This recipe for gluten-free Sweet Potato Hash is made with the small organic Ruby sweet potatoes that I found at Trader Joe's.

Potato hash is down home Southern fare for us. The variation to sweet potatoes makes a wonderful addition to our breakfast menu, plus it's nightshade free.

(Note: Three cheers for anyone who guessed that I photographed the hash on a Pikachu plate.)

Recipe

6 small Ruby sweet potatoes
1 onion, halved and sliced
1/2 bell pepper, halved and sliced
coconut oil
salt and pepper to taste

Wash, peel and cube the sweet potatoes. Put a pot of water on the stove and bring to a boil. Add the sweet potatoes and cook until tender. While the potatoes are cooking, put a tablespoon of coconut oil in a skillet and cook the onion until it is clear. Add the bell pepper and cook for a few more minutes. Remove the potatoes from the water and add to the onions and bell pepper. Cook long enough to blend the flavors together approximately 5 to 8 minutes.

My food critics had mixed reviews about the sweet potato hash. First, my husband and I loved this recipe. This is warm and homey food. My kids only liked the sweet potatoes. They didn't like the onions. The kids tested the hash without the bell pepper, since my daughter has a slight nightshade allergy. I cooked the bell pepper in a separate skillet and added it to the hash once the kids were served.

2 comments:

I Am Gluten Free said...

These sweet potatoes look great! Thanks for linking to my gluten free blog. I've just added you to mine as well. Hey, what is kuzu powder? Where do you get it? Keep up the good work - I love reading other gluten free blogs!

Happy Homemaker said...

I love sweet potatoes, too. Such a versatile food. I've never tried them in a hash. Time I do I think.