January 12, 2007

Quinoa Almond Butter Cookies (Gluten-Free)

I decided to go ahead and remake the gluten-free Quinoa cookies. I got an idea to substitute almond butter for the peanut butter in the recipe and I couldn't wait to try it out. I whipped up a half batch of cookies to see how the recipe worked and tasted. This half batch will make one dozen gluten free cookies.

Recipe

3 Tb Brown Sugar
1/4 Stick of Butter
1/4 cup Almond Butter
1/2 cup Brown Rice Flour
5 Tb Quinoa Flakes
1/4 tsp Vanilla
1 Tb Sweet Rice Flour
1 Egg
Optional: 1/4 cup chopped almonds mixed in, an almond placed on top or 1/4 mini chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Cream the butter. Add the brown sugar, almond butter, vanilla and egg to the butter and blend. In another bowl put the brown rice flour, quinoa flakes and sweet rice flour together and mix. Then add the dry ingredients to the wet cookie dough and mix until blended. Place by rounded teaspoons on the parchment paper and bake for 12-14 minutes or until done.

Optional: Since these cookies do not spread you can press the dough down for a flatter cookie with a fork or the bottom of a measuring cup. You could also try using a cookie press.

Now to bring out the cookie critics and see what they have to say about my experiment. My son really liked the chocolate chip version, but said they would be even better if they had more chocolate chips. My daughter didn't like them, but said that if she was going to have to eat them then they needed more chocolate chips. She said that the chocolate chips were the best part of the cookie. My husband and I liked them. I thought the dough was pretty versatile as it tasted good with a simple almond on top and very good with the chocolate chips in it.

No comments: