August 6, 2006

Wasabe Slaw - Gluten Free

Being gluten-free changes how you regard food and how other people prepare recipes, which makes you wonder about recipes and the ingredients they contain. Once you have to go gluten-free you research every ingredient that you put into recipes of your own and what you buy at restaurants.

On one of my exploratory visits to Whole Foods, I was inspired to buy a lovely green cabbage, but once I got it home I was uninspired to do something with it. It's been mocking me, laughing at me from it's resting place in the refrigerator. I didn't want to add it to my compost pile unused. So, today I decided to do something slightly different with it. My green slaw is a combination of what things I had around the kitchen and my mood for something spicy.

Recipe

1/2 Head of Cabbage
1 cup baby spinach leaves, chopped
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 tsp. celery seed
1/4 cup chopped almonds
1/4 cup wasabe mayonnaise or to taste
1/2 tsp. cracked black pepper or to taste
1/4 tsp sea salt or to taste

Blend and serve.

The family voting? My husband and I really liked it, but my kids won't even attempt to try wasabe again. Too spicy.

No comments: