A July Daring Baker's Challenge
The July Daring Bakers' challenge was hosted by Nicole at Sweet Tooth. She chose Chocolate Covered Marshmallow Cookies and Milan Cookies from Pastry chef Gale Gand of the Food Network.
Nicole is a huge fan of Gale Gand. She's tried a lot of her recipes and they are always a huge success. For July's challenge, she wanted to try something different and chose Gand's version of the Pepperidge Farm cookies...the Milano.
I've had family in and out of the house most of the summer. My folks, my brother's family and now his niece is staying for the week. Her first time away from home. So far, she seems to be doing just fine. However, there are these long periods of silence followed by all these quiet giggles and a squeal or two.
These cookies turned out to be a success at my house as well, although I have to say they are somewhat addictive. More than one of us had trouble stopping with one, even two cookies. The only person who was slightly disappointed was my son, who really wanted these to be Mint Milano cookies.
Recipe courtesy of Gale Gand (Food Network)
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Serves: 1 1/2 dozen cookies
6 Tb (85 g) unsalted butter, softened
1 1/4 cup (156 g) powdered sugar
3 egg whites
1 Tb vanilla extract
1/4 cup brown rice flour
1/4 cup sweet rice flour
2 Tb arrowroot starch
2 Tb almond meal
1 tsp chia seed meal
pinch agar agar powder
1/4 cup heavy cream
4 oz semisweet chocolate, chopped
1 tsp vanilla extract
1. In a mixer with a paddle attachment, cream the butter and the sugar.
2. Gradually add the egg whites and then mix in the vanilla extract.
3. Add the various flours, meals and agar agar, then mix until combined.
4. With a small (1/4 inch) plain tip, pipe 1 inch sections of batter onto a parchment lined sheet pan spacing them 2 inches apart as they spread.
5. Bake in a preheated 350 degree F oven for 10 - 12 minutes or until a light golden brown around the edges. Let cool on the pan.
6. While waiting for the cookies to cool, in a small sauce pan scald the cream over medium heat.
7. Pour hot cream over the chocolate in a bowl, whisk to melt the chocolate and then add the vanilla extract.
8. Set aside to cool.
9. Spread a thin amount of the filling onto the flat side of a cookie while the filling is still soft. Press the flat side of a second cookie on top.
10. Repeat with the remainder of the cookies.