May 11, 2007

Sweet Potato Biscuits - Gluten Free

We have been enjoying the lovely Virginia weather for the last few days. Springtime here is beautiful, full of blooming trees and azaleas. Our hotel is nestled in a copse of old trees and the property is liberally sprinkled with blooming trees. The walkways are lined with azaleas, pansies and tulips. Morning is a wonderful time to enjoy a cup of coffee and a biscuit while admiring the scenery. Today, we enjoyed a warm gluten free sweet potato biscuits, juice and coffee.

Since the sweet potato is a staple at our house, I try to use it in as many different ways as I can. My inspiration my biscuits came from a recipe by Emeril Lagasse of the Food Network. I began by choosing my flours and selecting which binder I would use.

Recipe

3/4 cup brown rice flour
1/2 cup Cream Hill Estates oat flour
1/4 cup + 1 Tb arrowroot starch
1/4 cup + 1 Tb sweet rice flour
1 Tb almond meal
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp Turbinado sugar
12 Tb cold butter
1 cup mashed baked sweet potato
1/2 cup chopped pecans
1/3 cup whipping cream
2 tsp kudzu powder, dissolved in the whipping cream

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and set out silicone baking cups on a cookie sheet.

In a mixing bowl, combine all the dry ingredients and blend. Add the butter to the dry mixture and cut it in until the mixture looks like crumbs. Then add the sweet potato and pecans. Last slowly add the whipping cream and kudzu mixture and blend. Using a spoon, scoop balls of dough into the silicone baking cups. Place in the oven and bake for 25 to 28 minutes or until golden brown.

The biscuits turned out beautifully, warm and buttery with a slight taste of sweet potato. My family enjoyed these biscuits for breakfast and thought they tasted great. They tasted wonderful with maple butter too.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Now there is one to try. Nice mix!

David
EatingBritain.com

Natalie, aka "Sheltie Girl" said...

David -- Thank you.

Sheltie Girl

Unknown said...

Oh,wow! These look good- especially with the maple butter. I am not much of a cook- even though I wish I was- but I may have to give these a try! Thanks for posting it.

Karen

Natalie, aka "Sheltie Girl" said...

Karen -- Thank you for the kind words. The muffins are very good with the maple butter. Actually, I think most bread is better with butter...

Sheltie Girl