May 26, 2007

Chia Seeds & Chia Seed Gel

I used Chia Seeds, which are naturally gluten free, to make the gelling agent in my Lemon Chia Seed Bread (see the previous post). The bread held together beautifully. Being a very curious person by nature, I had to see exactly how much the chia seeds would gel.

So, I ran a small experiment with to see exactly how well they gelled. I used 1 tsp of chia seeds and 4 tsp of water. Then I let the seeds sit for 30 minutes. The seeds produced a nice gel that holds together when you try to tilt it off the spoon.

I let it sit for about an hour in the refrigerator to see if it would harden, but it didn't. It remained a nice soft gel.

Ohhh...the possibilities...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I always learn so much from reading your blog! Thanks for all the great ideas!

Natalie, aka "Sheltie Girl" said...

Natalie - Thank you for reading along.

Sheltie Girl