October 26, 2009

Baking & Pastry Project Week 16 - Holiday Breads




A couple of rich breads are on the schedule this week: Italian Panettone and German Gugelhopf. Both are laden with fruit and the Panettone has the addition of candied orange and lemon peel.


Schedule

Saturday - Panettone

Sunday - Gugelhopf


Shopping List

Brown Rice Flour (Fine or Superfine Grind)
Sweet Rice Flour (also called glutinous rice flour)
Arrowroot Starch
Almond Meal
High Protein Flours, such as: Soybean, White Bean, Black Bean
Whole Grain Flour, such as: Buckwheat, Millet, Sorghum, Quinoa, Teff
Instant Dry Yeast
Binding Agents, such as: Xanthan or Guar Gum, Chia Seed Meal, Agar Agar Powder
Candied Orange & Lemon Peel
Raisins & Golden Raisins
Glucose Syrup
Orange & Lemon Zest
Almonds


Resources

Flours & Binding Agents: Authentic Foods, Barry Farm, Bob's Red Mill
Instant Dry Yeast: Barry Farm
Agave Syrup: Wild Organics, Native Seeds
Nuts & Candied Peel: Barry Farm
Glucose Syrup: Amazon.com, Michaels (a craft store) or a Cake Decorating Store

Equipment

Panettone Wrapper - Fantes
8" Gugelhopf Pan - Fantes


What's Going On?

I was a very lucky woman and received a copy of the Culinary Institute of America's Baking & Pastry book along with their culinary dvd's from my family for my birthday and our anniversary. After watching all the DVDs, I decided to work my way through the CIA's Baking and Pastry book - of course making it gluten free. There were so many skills that I wanted to develop and work on. I hope you will be interested in sharing my journey with me.


Other Baking & Pastry Project Posts

Index of the Baking & Pastry Project

Baking & Pastry Project #30 - Multigrain Bread With Pate Fermentee
Baking & Pastry Project #29 - White Bean Lean Bread With Pate Fermentee
Baking & Pastry Project Week 15 - Lean & Multigrain
Baking & Pastry Project #28 - Berliners
Baking & Pastry Project #27 - Yeast Raised Doughnuts
Baking & Pastry Project Week 14 - Doughnuts


Want More?

You can also follow me on Twitter, where I'm glutenagogo.

No comments: