April 3, 2008

Amish Chicken and Corn Soup


One of our favorite foods of summer is fresh corn. We can't wait until those golden ears of corn start showing up at our local vegetable market. One way, we enjoy the wonderful flavor of corn through the months we use frozen corn is Amish Chicken and Corn Soup. It is a warm delight of corn, celery, carrots brought together with the earth flavor of saffron.

This recipe is one of our favorites from The Culinary Institute of America's Book of Soups. My family loves the flavor of saffron combined with the corn. The corn noodles are extra layer of taste enhancement.

If you are going to make this soup ahead of time, keep the noodles in a separate container until it is time to reheat it. To serve left overs have a little extra chicken broth on hand, since the corn noodles will soak up some of the broth.

Recipe
1 cup cooked chicken, chopped
2 qts. chicken broth
3/4 cup onion, chopped
1/2 cup carrot, chopped
1/2 cup celery, chopped
1/2 tsp crushed saffron threads
1 cup corn kernals
1 TB parsley, finely chopped
3 oz gluten free corn noodles, cooked *
Salt to taste
Ground black pepper to taste

1. In a large Dutch oven combine the first six ingredients and simmer for 1 hour.

2. Then add the noodles and corn. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serves 8.

Note: I used Mrs. Leepers Corn Spaghetti. They are available from Glutenfree.com and Allergygrocer.com.

5 comments:

Carrie said...

That looks so warm and delicious Natalie! I've never liked those corn noodles from Mrs. Leeper's, but I bet it really works well in this soup!! Thanks for sharing!!

Lindy said...

This soup looks really good! I've been watching for some new soup recipes to try and this one is just perfect ~ thanks!

Cakelaw said...

As soon as I saw this, I thought "Yum"! It is becoming cooler every day here as we go into autumn, so a soup like this truly hits the spot.

Liz said...

I can't wait to try this! I have some corn noodles in the cupboard just waiting to be used.

Natalie, aka "Sheltie Girl" said...

Carrie, Childlife, Cakelaw, The Good Eatah -

Thanks for stopping by and I hope you enjoy this soup recipe as much as my family did.

Sheltie Girl