July 12, 2007

Buckwheat & Almond Madeleines - Gluten Free

I have been fascinated by a recipe from Trembom-English Version for Buckwheat Madeleines. In this recipe, the buckwheat plays a starring role, rounded out in flavor by the almond meal and browned butter. Held together by egg whites, they are sweetened with powdered sugar and a teaspoon of honey. The Madeleines are gluten free.

They sounded delicious and I had to give them a try. So, I purchased several silicone Madeleine molds and baked up a batch one Sunday afternoon. They worked nicely and the cakes popped out easily. This recipe makes 18 regular sized Madeleines. Visit Trembom for the full text of the recipe.

They were delightful fresh from the oven and even several days later. We liked them best when they were frosted with a thin layer of dark chocolate icing.

To convert the grams to cups in the recipe, visit Gourmet Sleuth for the gram conversion calculator. They also have a calculator for converting Celsius to Fahrenheit.

The one note I would make about this recipe, is be careful as you fold the browned butter into the Madeleine dough. The butter will sit on top of the dough so go slowly, so some of the butter doesn't flip out of the bowl.

How did they go over? Everyone loved them, especially when they were frosted with chocolate.

10 comments:

ElwoodCity, Ph.D. said...

Dairy free, with butter?

~Jaime said...

These look delicious! Wow...even I didn't know that "buckwheat" was on the "okay" list for Celiacs! I will have to give them a try!

http://glutenfreemomma.blogspot.com

Natalie, aka "Sheltie Girl" said...

Elwoodcity - Oh, dear it doesn't pay to be distracted when trying to finish posts. Thank you very much for catching my error. I have amended the post to remove the dairy free comment. Thanks again.

Sheltie Girl

Natalie, aka "Sheltie Girl" said...

~jaime - Thank you for the lovely words.

Sheltie Girl

Rachel said...

This recipe sounds delicious. And I haven't yet had time to try your yummy sounding Cola Cake. Keep on baking.

Buckwheat Madeleines. Now I must go read some Proust.....


-Rachel

Yann_Chef said...

Hi!
minou32 there. Thanks for your comment. I would like to let you know that I moved my wordpress blog to blogger. Now you can find me @ : Foodlorists.blogspot.com. There is loads more stuff there. BTW Great blog of yours.
Yann

Natalie, aka "Sheltie Girl" said...

Yann - Thank you for letting me know about your new blog. I'll have to take some time and read all the new recipes you've posted. Thank you for letting me know about it.

Sheltie Girl

Natalie, aka "Sheltie Girl" said...

Rachel - Thanks for the lovely words.

Sheltie Girl

Suma said...

Thank you for the lovley blog which you gave us...

cheers,
suma valluru
--------------------------------------------------
http://www.gourmet-chocolates.org/

Natalie, aka "Sheltie Girl" said...

Suma, Thank you for stopping by.

Sheltie Girl